My birthday, a hectic week and a general sense of lethargy - all added up to my not visiting my blog for a whole week. Imagine my surprise then when I came across this comment on on of my posts - "Hii,Happy to pass my Liebster award to you :)".
Now, for someone who just started blogging for a lark, has no idea where she stands on this wide platform, not to forget, someone who hasn't won anything in her blogger avatar, the words "award" and " you" were enough to bring a wide smile to my face! So, Preeti Jaipal of "Kitchen Delicacies", I thank you from the bottom of my heart, for giving me the pleasure of winning my first ever recognition!
OK, once the initial euphoria settled down, I wanted to find out what exactly this award was. Visiting Kitchen Delicacies gave me a rough idea as to what this was all about. Then I googled "Liebster Awards". There were a lot of different versions going on. The rules varied from passing the award to 5 bloggers to 15 bloggers! The number of followers ranged from 200 to 3000! Anyways, after reading the numerous google search results, here is what I concluded (or should I say, here is the gist of what I understood;) )-
The term "Liebster" is German, meaning "dear" or "beloved". This is an award given to up and coming bloggers to encourage them and show them your love and support. If you choose to accept it, you must:
- Mention 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the tagger has set for you.
- Choose 11 new bloggers, having less than 200 followers, and pass on the award to them, linking them on your post.
- Leave a comment on their blog, telling them about the award.
- No back tagging!
- Frame 11 new questions for the bloggers you pass the award to.
So, you see, this may not count as a major achievement to many people - I mean there is no website acknowledging you receiving the award, no judge/jury - just fellow bloggers recognizing and appreciating the work you put in. For me, that is reward enough :)
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I am an avid reader - prefer fiction, but won't hesitate to read pretty much anything and everything I can lay my hands on!
- I have an enormous sweet tooth - just can't resist anything sweet!
- I love the fresh smell of wet mud after the first rains.
- Knitting and crocheting relax me.
- I love listening to music - language no bar, genre no bar.
- I have a shoe fetish - seriously! My closet is filled with slippers & shoes, some of which I haven't worn more than once or twice!
- I love dancing. It is my stress buster, my mood elevator :)
- I am a cleanliness freak. Infact my tendency to fuss about cleaning and my love for cooking have earned me the moniker "Monica" - you know Monica Geller from Friends!
- Regardless of whether I have a list or not, when I go shopping, I always go overboard!
- I am terrified of water - as in I have a fear of drowning.
- I don't watch TV regularly, but whenever I do, I do marathon shows - 3 hours of Bones or 4 hours of Top Chef or a whole day of Law & Order - you name it I have done it!
1. What’s the best thing you ever ate?
I can't seem to pick one thing! Be it my mom's Vengaaya Sambaar with Potato Curry, or the Schezuan Ravioli at Confucius or the the steaming hot Idiappam & Stew eaten on a houseboat in Alleppey on my honeymoon - I love them all!
2. What is your favorite place for holidaying?
3. Do you watch TV shows? If so, which is your favorite?
Off and on... The current craze is The Big Bang Theory
4. What beauty product you cannot live without?
I use my fair share of cosmetics, but something that I cannot live without - my moisturizer!
5. What you always aspired to be? Are your aspirations met?
I always aspired to make a name for myself as a Bharatanatyam dancer. No, kind of left those dreams behind...
6. How do you spend your free time?
I read, knit/crochet and listen to music when I have leisure time on hand.
7. What is the most exciting thing you’ve ever done?
The most exciting this I have done so far is river rafting.
8. Which is your favorite recipe from your blog?
My favorite recipe on the blog is surprising not a sweet dish! It is the apple thokku!
9. What’s your favorite thing to have for dessert?
I love rasagullas! Perfect dessert!
10. Your favorite shopping destination?
No, its not Dubai or Honk Kong or New York - it is my good old Delhi! Specially in the company of my sister!
11. Sports or academics, your pick?
Definitely academics - Much to the disappointment of my hubby, I do not possess a single athletic bone!
11 Questions From Me:
- What is the craziest thing you ever did?
- If not a food blog, what?
- Where do you get your inspirations for cooking?
- Which chef influences your cooking the most?
- Who is your best critic?
- What would be the first thing on your bucket list?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- Name your favorite author or book?
- Which is your favorite place to hang out with friends?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Which cuisine is your culinary strong point?